CTAF - Discussion Thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF).

The VATSIM United States (VATUSA) division will be trialing real world Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF) starting March 1st 2024 and lasting up to 6 months.

Read More: https://vats.im/ctaf-trial

1 Like

if anyone else, like me, wondered which freq to use at a large airport that has a 24/7 tower irl (and potentially multiple tower freqs) my questions were answered here:

https://my.vatsim.net/learn/frequently-asked-questions/section/140/page/83

1 Like

Easiest would be “If there is a real CTAF; use CTAF. If there isn’t, stick with 122.8”

For big airports, we are changing from something not happening RL (single CTAF frequency) but simple and stupid, because same frequency everywhere, to something not happening RL (LAX or JFK CTAF frequency) that now has to be looked up outside the charts on the vatsim webpage to actually find out which one of multiple frequencies an airport might have actually is the CTAF one, granting room for error if people don’t know there is CTAF etc.

Also:
“CTAF should be used within 15 nautical miles of an airport and below 5,000 ft. For larger airports such as Class Bravo airports, 20 nautical miles and 10,000 ft should be used due to increased traffic and airport complexity.”
So, since most of the time CTAF will be Tower frequency, what is to be done when there actually is a tower online? You don’t want to coordinate on his frequency, so in case of tower coming online, revert back to 122.8? And Tower first has to clear up the frequency when Tower comes online?!

Keep it simple, this is recipe for a complete mess. In the end it should help pilots and controllers, not make their life more complicated.

As I said: CTAF where there is a CTAF frequency, 122.8 everywhere else. Problem solved.

3 Likes

Disagree……

1. With this you don’t have to worry about other people at other airports…. That just distracts you while you try to fly.
  2. Lots of times when I fly around other people they NEVER make radio calls so I don’t know what they are doing. Then they get mad and cuss at me or yell at me because I’m actually calling out my position in the pattern or something… so this is great because people at different airports than me don’t cuss or yell at me cause I’m ACTUALLY DOING OT RIGHT UNLIKE THEM!
  3. Getting frequencies from looking up charts and stuff is time consuming BUT VERY REALISTIC!!! And if you fly at your home airport often like me you don’t need too look up Frequencies. Plus MSFS (and probably X-Plane) gives frequencies on the Garmin Systems!!! Super Chill!!!
    Anyhow that’s my two cents.
    Have a great day guys!

You did read this thru right? Looking at charts does not give you the frequency here, as with multiple frequencies on bigger airport you have to go look which one is the (unrealistic) simulated CTAF. So it is not realistic at all.
And if people are not calling now, how is making it more difficult (look up frequency somewhere else) gonna help the case?
And I’d like to still have situational awareness of what is happening around me. If situation awareness is a distraction, we have a problem here.

1 Like

In another area the rules were;

IF no ATC provided;

CTAF designated facility use the CTAF freq published,

Otherwise use 122.800.

1 Like

Honestly I guess that’s why VatSim is for people that are Private Pilots or training for it………….

Not for gamers

Use Flight Plan Go app…. Off brand Garmin Pilot and free from the same developers.FREE
Gives all frequencies of airports!
Also connects to simulators

This is getting better and better…
Europe made the switch to 8.33khz, while the US is on 25khz spacing
The US going to trial the real world CTAF frequencies

I second the suggestion of it either being the published CTAF as per sectionals, or UNICOM on 122.800, as this makes things easier.

When I started with flightsim and controlling many many moons ago, most comms where text-only. Now we’re talking being almost up-to-date with reality in VHF…
What’s next?

• Satphone (SIP) in vpilot (or regular SIP-Phone), where the VID is the telefon-number for pilots and published numbers for the oceanic controllers in addition to their personal VID-number ?
  • UHF for realistic MIL-COM (including encryption,and/or channel hopping)

Cheers
Ralph

2 Likes

What I would love to know is what about the big user base that uses Navigraph for their charts, most Navigraph charts do not have any form of CTAF frequency on their charts!

I understand Vatsim wanting to make progress and to make things more realistic, but is it change for the sake of making a change, we already have an issue with those that do not use Unicom, let alone trying to get them and other to move over to CTAF.

2 Likes

Flight plan go free app that gives frequency’s of US airports… oh and by the way do you know what an A/FD is??? If not you have no business flying on the network. A/FD gives the frequencies bro…… PILOTS KNOW THAT

Sorry if it sounds rude… it’s true

When I started with flightsim and controlling many many moons ago, most comms where text-only. Now we’re talking being almost up-to-date with reality in VHF…
What’s next?
Satphone (SIP) in vpilot (or regular SIP-Phone), where the VID is the telefon-number for pilots and published numbers for the oceanic controllers in addition to their personal VID-number ?

I would love that! There are plenty of the things that are currently missing in the simulation of oceanic procedures on VATSIM, leading people to use external tools instead (for instance the Hoppie’s ACARS system). Not having to rely on third-party software, but rather having everything integrated in the VATSIM pilot/controller client of choice would be a big step forward.

What I would love to know is what about the big user base that uses Navigraph for their charts, most Navigraph charts do not have any form of CTAF frequency on their charts!

Is that really so? I was under the impression that Navigraph distributed Jeppesen charts. If so, you should find the CTAF (if applicable) at the top-left of the page for any instrument approach procedure.

1 Like

I don’t pay for navigraph but I wouldn’t be surprised

Yes I know what A/FD means, Navigraph does not have this on most of it`s airport charts, and a lot of people use this tool.

Well sir… A/FD are free to download from FAA.gov somewhere
I have all of them downloaded and on fltplan.com and on their app

There are multiple places that CTAF frequencies are published on Navigraph. Here are just a few of them:

Here:

Here:

And here:

4 Likes

You need to remember that people flying on the network are doing so in places other than the United States… Charts and pubs are not freely available in many countries.

You could also probably knock the attitude down a peg. This is a video game. People are trying to have fun here. And if “private pilot” is your quality standard of measure… You probably would not like to hear some of the things my peers and I have had to say about private pilots at busy airports and in wayyy over their heads :wink:. In reality, that’s kind of justified… But this here, is virtual entertainment only.

1 Like

Navigraph publishes CTAF freqs on every chart that has one in reality. Even medium sized airports will have a remark that tower freq becomes CTAF when the tower is closed. The problem would come in at the large hub airports, where the tower never closes so there’s no CTAF published… Not because Navigraph is missing it, but because it does not exist.

I tend to agree that keeping 122.80 as global CTAF would make more sense on the network. It’s just easier.

You are right sir about the attitude part…. As far as the video game part VatSim was not made to be “played” so to speak but rather used to help your skills. I am not of age to get my student or privates license, but According to my instructor, I could solo easily. I use flight simulator to rack up hours, and to be more efficient and fluid with my aircraft handling VatSim is very nice for pilots to be able to fly without having to spend money so to speak. I’m sorry if you think flight simulator is a game like many people do, but for me and people like me it is as close as we can get to the real thing. As far as discussion goes, I very much happy about the new update they are putting in. It makes things ultra realistic and very much immersive. I understand that some people play as a game which is fine, but VatSim was made for those who don’t play as a game, but for those who simulate real flying, if you know what you’re doing, VatSim is great but for those who don’t know what they are doing, they probably should do more practicing before thinking about getting onto VatSim.
Also, nobody uses Unicom and those that do I have had people not say anything, except for cussing me out because I was making the radio calls like you should be doing like everyone should be doing. Those are the ones that I don’t know why they are VatSim because they just cuss at other people for doing the right procedures. But my opinion is just that… an opinion. Sorry if I offended you, but I’m not sorry (Reese’s lol)