VStars accessibility: about 99 percent of the way there

I’m only a trainee for now, I’m using VStars as I’m totally blind, and as a blind controller, right now, that appears to be working. I notice some accessibility issues I will attempt to explain to the best of my ability. I have no idea if the developer is on here, if not, can someone be so kind as to forward this form link or what not onto them? Btw if anyone wants contact me with questions about accessibility as well I’m also ondiscord as well.
Thanks all, memo begins.

Introduction

Windows Nott speaking and gaining focus with NVDA.

Wrong label in flight plan window

Flight plan window and nvda focus.

No speech when logging in.

Conclusion

Introduction

The following will list some accessibility issues I’m having with VStars. The purpose of this memorandum is to note what issues are so they might be looked into for future blind and visually impaired (NVAccess)controllers. I will also list ways they might be fixed, if possible. I am using Nvda which can be found on their website. This is an open-source screen reader. I would suggest turning on visual highlighting so the developer can see where the focus is when testing for these issues. This feature may be gotten to using the following method.

• Press nvda plus N.
  • Down arrow until you hear “preferences.”
  • Right arrow then hit enter on settings.
  • Down arrow to visuals
  • Tab to and check the focus rectangle boxes. I believed there are 2 or 3 of them.
  • Tab to ok and press space.

Windows Nott speaking and gaining focus with NVDA.

Windows that I must get to do not speak or gain focus. There seems to be no keyboard centric way to get to these windows. One example is the frequency window where I can choose what frequency at the tower I need to log into. Suggestion: a control tab or a way for the screen reader to see those windows when I either use a keyboard shortcut or macro, or control tab is also an idea. Another way would be a full menu bar or tool bar I could get to with alt (see windows explorer for an example) this way I can check and uncheck windows I don’t need and / or get to them at will. One example of a complex interface is vPilot which I use. I can enter frequencies, file my flight plan, and read and respond to messages if needed.

Tabbing past the edit field also says “unknown,” NVDA is not sure what that window is, if it is a map, that’s fine, however if it is one of the other windows I need to know this. An example is the flight plan window once I bring that up with f6. See next point.

Wrong label in flight plan window

Once I’m inside the flight plan window by using my screen reader’s OCR function, I see a mislabeled field. The field labeled as “callsign” is, according to my instructor, an alternative airport field. Suggestion: add the correct label to that field. You will be able to hear what it is when tabbing through the flight plan window once the flight plan window is brought up using nvda’s OCR method with NVDA plus R.

Flight plan window and nvda focus.

The flight plan window does not gain focus once I hit enter to read it. I have to use NVDA’s OCR function to bring it up, then I click a part of the flight plan to force NVDA to gain focus. [^1]

[^1]: When “click” is used, normally 99 percent of the time I translate that to either Enter or Space depending on the situation. So, when giving instructions and I’m saying click, I want the tester to press enter or space depending on (NVAccess)the situation they are in. I have some NVDA documentation I will link to at the end of this document.

I would like a better way to bring up that window if possible. This work around is fine, if and only if there is a message that the flight plan has been loaded.

When clicking “amend” the flight plan window loses focus with my screen reader. I’m not sure if this is intended behavior, so I’m bringing said issue to the attention of the developers. Suggestion: if possible, when clicking ‘amend” when necessary, or clicking the button to change the squawk code when necessary, prevent the window from going out of focus when the screen reader is running. Simply refresh the flight plan window and keep me in it.

No speech when logging in.

When I am logging into a network with f12, nvda does not read me any messages if there are any. I am probably going to be forced to use OCR if there are not too many windows in the way. See the section on moving windows out of the way for more information. Suggestion: when a new window pops up, let nvda gain focus, and let me tab around it and close it if there is in fact a close button. All elements and controls must read, however. This might make things cluttered for now which is why I’m suggesting a keyboard centric window and a way for nvda to stay in that window until I close it with a key or by clicking the close button assuming the window has one.

Conclusion

Overall, I’m 99 percent happy with the program, it was easy to set up and get going. However, a way to access the top strip, and other things need to be implemented over the next few months for both I and other present and future blind controllers to really make use of the application. If you want to learn about implementing accessibility into the app(s) you may join one of nvda’s lists or send them an email asking for documentation. The team are very good to work with and you will get some very good answers from very knowledgeable developers. Find out more on their support page.

Hi Sarah, thanks for the detailed post. vSTARS won’t be receiving any more updates since it is going to be retired soon when we finish with the new vNAS server and the CRC client. My suggestion is to work with vSTARS as best you can until CRC is available, and then see how well CRC works with your screen reader.

1 Like

Ok, can some of the elements from this post be taken into consideration? I’d love to work the developers if possible and when possible to make sure this is accessible for everyone.
Thanks for the speedy reply.