Strange AI pushback behaviour (pitch)

For those not following the thread on the FSDT forums, Umberto’s fix for overriding the pitch velocity value during pushback worked a little bit, in that the pitch changes are much better now, but it’s not ideal since the movement is still a little jittery, and it also greatly increases SimConnect message traffic. So I instead have made a change in vPilot so that it ignores the invalid velocity values during pushback and doesn’t send them to the VATSIM server … it instead sends a velocity of zero.

This technique is a compromise because it doesn’t fix the true problem, and it requires changes to all MSFS/P3D/FSX pilot clients, but it also doesn’t require any changes to the VATSIM network protocol or any xPlane client to deal with the bad velocity values on the remote end, since they aren’t sent to begin with.

This vPilot change is currently being tested and if it works, it will be in the next public release of vPilot which will be on March 1st.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your work @887155 !

Awesome thanks so much guys.

This is awesome news, will be so good not having to see this anymore when flying online on Vatsim.

Fantastic job Ross. Thank goodness we will no longer be subject to those awful GSX Pro pushback animations!

Thank you so much both Ross and Umberto working to solve that problem!
And what a wonderful idea:

Blockquote Other than “just” fixing this pitch issue, I guess we might send more data about GSX over the network: for example, we might send the name of the Pushback tug used and, if you have GSX installed, you might see other pilots being pushed by the actual Pushback tug used by them, instead of just going backwards

Now that vPilot 3.8 is out, please let me know if you are still seeing this issue. Note that it may take some time for the swift developers to make the same change, so if you still see this happening, it’s possible that the pilot is using swift.

This is superb news Ross, thank you so much!

Haven’t had much time flying lately but very much looking forward to trying this new version out!