Flight simulator download

Hi there,
I got Flight Simulator Deluxe as a gift but my PC has no disk drive (and the external one, that just for regular DVDs doesnt’ work) is there a way around this/something I can buy to install the software?
Thanks for your help,

What simulator exactly?

Hi Malcolm,
This is it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-2020-Premium/dp/B08D193VQT
Thanks

If you check the FAQ linked on that Amazon page you posted, you will see that In extreme circumstances, you can install the game directly from the Microsoft store app. The instructions on how to do this can be found within the included manual. However, you will still need to have disc 1 inserted into your drive to be able to launch and play the game.

This sounds to me like it is possible to download and install MSFS without the physical disk, but even then you’d still need the disk 01 in a disk drive (rather hard to do if you don’t have one) to run the simulator. To get around that issue, I imagine you have only three options: buy a disk drive for your PC (there are also plenty of external disk drives that you don’t need to build into your PC), contact Microsoft support to see if they can change your license to allow for not requiring the physical disk, or refund the physical version and buy yourself the digital version (either from the Microsoft Store or from Steam).

1 Like

Thanks for the advice David,
I do have a(n external) disc drive that i plug in via USB port, but it didn’t appear to work, perhaps its not sophiticated enough, is there a specific type I need to buy (I guess the price of that would determine what direction I go with this,
Thanks

Microsoft said no, I coud’nt get a refund and my external DVD drive doesn’t work, is there a specific type of External DVD drive that works?
Could a USB stick work? (I’m guessing it may have to massive?)

My advice is buy it off steam or buy P3D V5 or XP12

Unless your external DVD drive is faulty it should be recognised by windows, check in your device manager if it shows up when connected and also check if the drivers for it are installed.
If the above checks out insert the disc and see if you can hear it spinning up, if not you could always buy a new usb drive for around £/$/€ 20.00.

Its showing up in my device manager as working properly, and yes I can hear it spinning up too , but nothing flashes up on my screen

Hi,
Just to confirm it is Disc 1 that is loaded?
If it is it could still be a faulty drive, could you perhaps borrow a known good one and try that?

Hi again,
Forget the DVD’s, nothing appeared to work (and lifes too short to keep flogging a dead horse), does anyone know the link where I can buy (online, without DVDs) access to the most up-to-date version of Microssoft Flight Simulator, please let me know. I keep seeing ads for xbox (I dont not have one of these) so i am looking specifically for the link for the most up-to-date simulator that can be used on a PC.
Thank you in advance,

Steam or the MS store, a quick Google search could suffice

I’ve had an unbelievable ammount of trouble and wasted a hell of a lot of money, so if anyone has a link…that would be relaly helpful (I dont’ have an xbox, just a PC)

Msfs is on Xbox and pc Microsoft Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Edition on Steam

Here’s ur easily gotten link if you googled quickly

Just bought it, but when I tried ot open it a message comes up saying"You do not have enough space on this disc" - Starting to feel cursed at this stage, any tips on how to move forward, or should I call Steam and ask for a refund?
Thanks

1 Like

You might to clear some space on your storage device and may I ask what are your specs for your PC

As Malcolm already says: you probably have to clear up some space from your storage device.

MSFS2020 requires at least 150GB storage space (according to the system requirements) and since most people usually want certain addons/mods for their flight simulators (sceneries, additional aircraft, etc.), you’d probably want to clear up a bit more.
Assuming you’re using a Windows system, you can open “This PC” and then see your storage devices under “Devices and drives”, which will show you how much space you have left on each storage device (for one of my drives it says “698 GB free of 930 GB”, e.g.). If none of your drives has at least 150GB (although I wouldn’t cut it too close, so add 5-10 GB to that value for good measure) of free space, you’ll need to see if there are contents that you could delete - or, if you have multiple drives, move to another storage device - to clear up enough space to install the simulator.