Departure Procedure Chart Question

Hello guys, not new to VATSIM but have a question. On most DPs I’ve filed there’s a heading portion that describes how to file it in your flight plan. For example, The Salt Lake Four Departure is SLC4.TCH to start the flight plan.
I’m flying out of PANC, and noticed none of the non-RNAV departures have such information to include it in the flight plan. Does this mean that the DP is assigned by the controller?

1 Like

You’re referring to the transitions off of the SID that you are filing. For example for what you provided, the SLC4 departure has only transition, which is TCH, then is radar vectors to whatever VOR suitable for your route of flight.

In PANC’s case, you have the ANCHORAGE 9 Departure which is essentially the same. Looking at the description, it tells you to fly runway heading (heading 254 off of 25L/R, 149 off of runway 15, and 329 heading off of 33) to 600 ft, then radar vectors. So you could file ANC9.VOR (where VOR is the one suitable for your direction of flight), and ATC will vector you for the rest.

You have similar with the KNIK3 departure, where your transitions would either be BGQ, TKA, or NODLE. Have a look at the description on that one for what you’ll need to do as well. Same would apply for the POTTER 1 and TURNAGAIN 8 departures.

The FFITZ1 and NOEND4 departures are RNAV departures, and should have transitions on them, but if you are filing those, be sure that you can comply with the instructions on the SID; for example with the NOEND4, you’d have crossing restrictions and speed restrictions alone the route of flight for the SID. If you file it, be sure that you can comply with them, as ATC won’t be giving you vectors for those RNAV SIDs; those instructions are depicted on the chart.

BL.

3 Likes

Thank you for your helpful reply. I guess it just threw me off since the actual text of “ANC9.VOR” is nowhere to be found on the DP itself, whereas on most that text is present.

Yeah, it can be confusing. Compare the ANC9 to, say, the OHARE SEVEN out of ORD, or the CATTL3 or BLUFS5 out of OMA. Every VOR you see on there that could be presumed to be a transition actually isn’t. They are all vectored departures, so you’ll only do what is said for taking off of that particular runway, then wait for vectors. That is what the ANCHORAGE NINE does.

BL.

2 Likes