Challenge for VATSIM - SUPs

REF: Job description and duties of Supervisor, https://afv-map.vatsim.net/ , Forum topics.

Is it something that the VATSIM community could use as a Performance Indicator in regards pilots complying with the ‘Monitoring of 122.800 outside active control’ per B5 of the CoC?

It is a simple task to use the afv-map and determine who isn’t on 122.800, then check to see if they are under active control.

I see it as a win/win for the organisation, puts SUPs into education again, and demonstrates a commitment to CoC.

I’m not quite sure how this would be a positive use of Supervisor’s time and effort. We try to not actively police the network as is specified in the preamble to the Code of Conduct. Speaking specifically to unicom, while we do expect pilots to monitor and transmit intentions on unicom (122.800) as a matter of best practice, the simple reality is that outside of controlled airspace, the principles of “right-of-way” and “see and avoid” prevail.

We have been working on an update to the Code of Conduct Companion Document which was released today to cover more details on section B5. While I recommend reading the entire section, we now clarify that see and avoid is still the primary form of separation in uncontrolled airspace.

Do Supervisors have any strategies to educate members, or has that fallen away. I wonder who’s job it is to educate and maintain compliance on the network. Doesn’t have to be a disconnect or anything other than “Hey, we see that you aren’t monitoring 122.800, perhaps tune one of your radios to 122.800!” Probably just me, but I saw it as a positive for the network, and a simple thing to change a common behavioural issue.

Reading the companion, it suggests 122.800 monitoring is mandatory. It then goes onto to say how to use it, but tuning it is mandatory. I may have misread it.

I don’t know, I still have pilots that turn right when I say, “Turn left heading…” They blow through published altitude and speed restrictions on free, publicly available charts. They fly procedures they already had loaded instead of the new one that I assigned because they don’t know how to change it and are too afraid to say something (please speak up!). Until everyone has the ability to keep up with their airplane, whether that simply means flying a heading and an altitude, I’d rather the supervisors spend their time helping out those members who are in a little too far over their head instead of having to enforce the active monitoring of a non-ATC frequency.

Maybe if we had a published list of priorities for the SUPs/VATSIM we could understand where the priorities are!