Can you be in a discord call while you play on vatsim

My friend and I are wondering if we can be in a discord call while we are on vatsim. Just want to confirm that it is allowed or not.

Yes, no problem. I do that regularly.

VATSIM regulations do not allow the use of voice communications outside official communications frequencies while flying on their network. This means that you are not allowed to use a service like Discord to communicate with other pilots or controllers while flying on VATSIM.

However, it is possible to use VATSIM’s internal voice service, which allows pilots and controllers to communicate via a direct connection on the VATSIM network. It is important to always follow VATSIM rules and guidelines to ensure a safe and respectful flight experience for all participants.

But in your case for the purpose of external chatting and “chilling” you can stay on Discord with a friend to chat :slight_smile:

Hope to have help you,
Alex

If this is sarcasm, then I missed it, but what you said is not at all the case. You are not allowed to chat about unrelated stuff on frequency (both voice and text). But you can use 3rd party services or private messages to chat with whomever you like about whatever. VATSIM does not place any restrictions on your usage of 3rd party services.

Ok thank you for the reply, it was not meant as sarcasm

This was not directed at you, but at the first 2 paragraphs of Alex’ reply.

Goodmorning Mr. Kovanen,
No Sir, it wasnt sarcastic, probably we are having a missunderstand,
but i think what i wrote is correct because i wrote : “VATSIM regulations do not allow the use of voice communications outside official communications frequencies while flying on their network” that means in vatsim you can onlychat with pilot e controller via a specific Frequency and i also said “But in your case for the purpose of external chatting and “chilling” you can stay on Discord with a friend to chat” that means, if you are in a flight and you want to talk with your friend for example when you are in a no-busy moment o in the unicom you can do it or just to make a sharedflight with your friend you need to talk on third part (Discord, Teamspeak etc. etc.)

I apologize if I expressed myself badly,
Waiting for your cordial response…
Alex

That’s exactly what Ted had asked for and the simple answer to this was “Yes, you can”.

VATSIM regulations do not allow the use of voice communications outside official communications frequencies while flying on their network. This means that you are not allowed to use a service like Discord to communicate with other pilots or controllers while flying on VATSIM.

Alex, you’re misunderstanding that part of the Code of Conduct. CoC A16 only prohibits non-operational communications over the frequencies; it does not prohibit, or restrict in any way, the usage of any 3rd party services. As a controller, I frequently speak with the pilots flying in my airspace on Discord and sometimes even give clearances etc., over Discord due to various reasons, and that is perfectly fine.

Short answer: yes you can.

But…

It is very important that you do not allow your Discord conversation (or whatever) to distract you from your primary task of flying the aeroplane and monitoring the frequency.

Particularly at busy times it is really problematic, increases the controller’s workload a lot and causes disruption and a degradation in the quality of experience for everybody on the frequency if you are missing calls, making mistakes etc because you are busy chatting on Discord and not listening to the frequency properly or properly checking that you are carrying out instructions correctly.

So no, it is not prohibited to chat over Discord or Teamspeak or whatever you want to use. But you may find yourself in trouble if as a result of using these services you are unable to comply with the CoC requirements in respect of flying and operating your aircraft, responding to ATC etc.

My advice: in the cruise/when on Unicom, generally no problem as long as you have the volume balanced appropriately to ensure you are still able to monitor the radio and you listen out carefully for your callsign. In the climb or descent - I would tend to be inclined to suggest it is a good idea to mute the Discord chat for a bit and focus on what you need to do to fly the aeroplane…

@1379372 @810049
Okay, now i understand all, sorry but i fell in a misunderstanding about the vatsim-regulations.
Thank you for this little elucidation on this thing that I had clear but that I expressed myself badly.

Have GoodDay and Thanks again :slight_smile:
Bye,
Alex