Announcement: Creation of VATSIM Inc. Non-Profit

VATSIM was founded in July 2001 by a group of individuals who came together with the idea of creating an online community which truly met the needs of flight simulator enthusiasts across the world. As well as providing a common network for flight simulation enthusiasts to connect to, VATSIM aimed to create a global community for learning, sharing experiences and pursuing new opportunities in the virtual aviation world.

That original group of individuals are referred to as the VATSIM Founders. They have held the ownership of VATSIM since its inception and helped steer the direction of the network together with the VATSIM Board of Governors, as well as help pay for many of the expenses that come with running a network like VATSIM for the past 20 plus years. That said, VATSIM’s real strength and core is the result of the countless volunteers that have contributed untold hours over the last two-plus decades that have created the leading online flight simulation network.

Now, over 20 years later, the VATSIM Founders are giving ownership of the network to the newly- formed VATSIM Inc. (a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation legally based in the United States) as part of succession plan to ensure VATSIM prospers into the future. VATSIM Inc., led by a newly formed Board of Directors, serving two-year terms, will oversee the financial and legal aspects of VATSIM. The Board of Governors will continue the day-to-day operational oversight of the network.

By taking this step, VATSIM can grow and strengthen itself while ensuring a financially stable and healthy future. VATSIM will become more independent, with an even larger focus on education. The network will no longer be solely reliant on the selfless personal contributions of the VATSIM Founders, the VATSIM Board of Governors, and so many other valued contributors that have kept the network running for the last 20 years.

Effective immediately, VATSIM will accept charitable donations. Everyone that wishes to support the VATSIM network financially will now be able to, through donations made at

https://donate.vatsim.net

All donations will go towards VATSIM infrastructure, maintenance, improvement, and growth of the VATSIM Network. Additionally, donations to VATSIM can be tax deductible for U.S. citizens and companies.

Donations will be handled separately from your VATSIM account; forms of payment include all major credit cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal, Venmo or direct bank transfer. Donating is completely optional and does not entitle account holders to receive any additional benefits or services while using the VATSIM network. VATSIM will remain a free-to-use network like it has been for the past 20+ years. We are very excited to take this next big step in the future of VATSIM and, together with all of you, we will build bigger and better!

VATSIM Board of Directors & VATSIM Board of Governors

VATSIM NPO Announcement Press Release

3 Likes

Hey,
is it possible to map the status quo automatically?
If not, why?
For reasons of transparency, this should be part of a fundraising goal.
Best
Thorben

1 Like

To the BoG and others involved in this

First, I understand that all this infrastructure will cost some money and I’m sure that we will raise this goal if communicated right.
As Thorben stated it would be nice to have more transparency in this topic. A real time update of the already gained money as well a list of how you spent this money (6k for AFV and so on).

Further it seems a bit “strange” that over years it was never a topic to the wide public that this maybe will be a problem. I understand that this topic is now a thing and understand that you now need donations. However in the first communication you didn’t really stated that you need this money for the future, you only stated you will accept donations. Now in the second communication a few days ago it read a bit like: “Please donate, otherwise we can’t continue the work” Maybe you should have communicated first that the all the services costs around 12-18k per year and that over the next 2 years there should be at least this amount of donations to keep things running. Just a little awareness since I got some feedback in this direction in my community.

With that said, happy donated something as I can use this service since 8 years without any costs and looking for many more years!

2 Likes

I would have wanted to register for a monthly recurring donation to allow VATSIM to do more reliable planning but the transaction fees seem a bit high to me, so instead I just did a one-time donation that is compensating the fees (that’s not an option for monthly donations?). Is the currently chosen service provider already the one with the best conditions for VATSIM or is that something that could still be improved upon?

Can we be assured that nobody on the Board of Directors or the Board of Governors will draw any remuneration from VATSIM funds?

Mike

Yes. Absolutely true.

Thank you for your confirmation Don.

Mike