AFV microphone disconnects

(reposting this from the vatsim discord)

I have a weird microphone issue with AFV standalone client and was wondering if anyone can point me towards a solution…

When I connect, my mic (atr2500x-usb) works just fine, but after a while my microphone just stops working. After disconnecting I look in the AFV settings, the microphone is still correctly set, but the volume test bar doesnt move and no sound gets picked up. I can fix the issue by setting the microphone to another device and then back again…

• I’ve tried recording my audio with audacity at the same time and on audacity it doesnt disconnect, so it’s just AFV.
  • Some user suggested it might be a conflict with discord. I’ve tested with discord off & discord on a different audio device and the random disconnects continue.
  • The timing of the disconnects seem flaky as well, no real pattern to it…

It’s really annoying to having to disconnect every 5 minutes from AFV to see if my mic is still working…
Does anyone know how to fix this, or can help me debugging this issue?

Thanks

The first, and so far only, thing that comes to my mind is Windows’ option to allow certain programs to take exclusive control over audio devices. I would go through your sound device settings (or whatever Windows calls it nowadays) as a start.